LOOK HERE!

After you're done reading, you could scroll down below and do my poll (and rate my blog)...Just saying. :)

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

It just occurred to me that I went through a huge phase that I call my "Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire" phase. It was after I read an amazing book by Margaret Peterson Haddix called "Uprising." I was amazed by the fact that so many immigrants, mostly girls, worked under terrible conditions in a place called a "sweatshop." And it was saddening to learn that so many of them died in a terrible fire that could have been avoided, or dealt with better. On March 25th, 1911, in the Asch Building, the floors on which the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire were located caught fire. And, though many do not know this, the fire was the worst workers tragedy that happened up until 9/11. I am writing this to keep their history alive. We learn from our mistakes and once we forget, we repeat those mistakes. We wouldn't want to forget the 146 people that died that day. And on that somber note, Happy New Year!

~Banana Win

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hate it? Love it? Tell me! :D